Declaring an Independent Major

The other day I received the best news I’ve gotten in a while: my independent major proposal was approved!!

Bryn Mawr has a ton of majors and minors, but for the students who feel that what they want to study isn’t represented by these, the option of creating an independent major is available.

Over the summer I decided I wanted to pursue an independent major and have spent all of fall semester working on my proposal. I wrote a four page paper describing my major, the reason I want to pursue it and how I will get it done. I was able to find two professors whose interests aligned with mine and who agreed to be my major advisors. I organized and reorganized and reorganized until I was happy with my proposal. After submitting, I received some feedback from the independent major committee to improve my proposal. Then finally, after making some slight changes I received the news that the committee had approved my major in Public Health!

Now, I am able to submit an independent major work plan and declare my major. Next up will be applying to a study abroad program. Sophomore year is definitely a busy one with all of these planning processes, but it is all so exciting.