Adelante Panel

Yesterday I had the opportunity to speak on a panel that “Adelante” was running for the Latinx parents of their students. Adelante is a college-bound program that Bryn Mawr students work at to engage middle school students in college prep workshops. I was asked to be one of the panelists and talk about my experience as an immigrant in higher education. Professor Montes, a sociology professor at Bryn Mawr that focuses on immigrant studies, was also with me on the panel sharing her experience as an immigrant in higher education.

I loved being a part of this panel and meeting these parents because it reminded me so much of my own. These parents want the best for their children and are working day in and day out to make sure they have the best opportunities. Talking about my own experience reminded me of how blessed I am to have gotten the Posse Scholarship for Bryn Mawr. I’ve had amazing opportunities, but I know how difficult things are and how different circumstances can limit you. Speaking to these parents, listening to their concerns, answering their questions, and letting them know that affordable higher education for their children is possible was so valuable to me.

I attended Girls Inc. when I was in middle school and high school and if it wasn’t for that organization I probably wouldn’t be where I am today. So I am so glad that Bryn Mawr partners with Adelante and is doing similar work. This is just a testament to how Bryn Mawr students constantly seek to make a difference.