NAACP trip to NYC

The NAACP group at Bryn Mawr took six students to spend¬†three days in New York participating in a leadership diversity conference. The conference took place from Nov. 18th to the 19th and was full of students and faculty from colleges all over the country. There were people there¬†from Florida, Texas, Illinois, California and so many other states. Bryn Mawr students were there to represent Pennsylvania ūüôā

The weekend was packed with interactive workshops and meaningful discussions. Being a posse student, it was really interesting to participate in similar activities, but with a different atmosphere and group. Bryn Mawr posse students and our guests (who we call posse plussers) spend a weekend in the spring of every year diving deep into a conversation about diversity, very similar to this conference. But the experience in this conference was very different than my first posse plus retreat last spring.

On the¬†second day of the conference, I participated in the identity politics workshop, where we did the same activity Posse had us do last year. The activity involved different¬†areas of the room having posters with an identity (ex: race, gender, sexuality, religion, (dis)ability). The facilitators would then read out statements¬†and participants¬†would move to the area/identity that we most strongly connected to that statement. It was interesting for me to do this because I realized my answers changed¬†from last spring.¬†This made me think about¬†how much I’ve changed in half a year and how much Bryn Mawr has impacted me to see things differently.

I really enjoyed this conference, as it made me questions and deepen many of my beliefs/values. Opportunities like this are why I appreciate having come to Bryn Mawr.